DMA Hosts Comcast's Executive Director of Marketing
The Drexel Marketing Association hosted Kathy Hickey ‘84, executive director of marketing for Comcast Business, yesterday evening at G-Hall where she offered undergraduates students practical advice about working at Comcast. After she was introduced by Trina Larsen Andras, Ph.D., head of LeBow’s marketing department and DMA advisor, Hickey told the eager crowd that Comcast employs more than 100 co-ops at any given time and that she is personally looking for a co-op for the spring/summer cycle.
During her presentation, she gave a brief overview of her career which has spanned more than 25 years and taken her across the United States in both sales and marketing positions. She praised Comcast for being a family-friendly company and for offering employees career growth opportunities across many divisions.
“You can have many different careers without ever leaving Comcast,” she says.
Here is her advice for students pursuing a co-op position.
- Become a part of the team (not just co-ops in the closet).
- Network. Meet as many people as you can and find out what they do.
- Invite everyone you meet into your LinkedIn network.
- Always introduce yourself with your full name.
- Accept any mentoring offered. If it’s not offered, seek it out.
- Discuss the areas where you would like experience with your manager even if it’s not aligned with your assignment. You never know.
- If you are not busy, ask for more work.
- Speak up if you are overloaded. There is always more work than time. Prioritize.
- Keep track of what you did for your resume. Ask for help when writing your resume and never use words like helped or assisted. You either did it, or you didn’t.