Before you can set up your VM, you must first download a free copy of Windows 10. To do that:
1. Browse to http://lebow.me/msdn.
2. Select Sign In and sign in with your Drexel logon credentials.
3. Select Download Software.
4. Use the Search field to search for Windows 10 Education.
5. Select Windows 10 Education, Version XXXX.
6. From the Software pane on the right, select Download.
7. From the Software pane on the right, select View Key.
8. Copy the key shown and save it in a location where you can easily find it later. You will need this to complete the installation.
9. Wait for the download to complete.
Method 1: Apple Boot Camp
Advantages: You will have the full resources of your computer available to you under Windows 10.
Disadvantages: You can only use 1 OS at a time, either macOS or Windows 10. You will have to chose the OS to use when booting the computer or by using System Preferences
Apple has macOS version specific directions on their website. To set up a VM using Apple Boot Camp, please refer to the Boot Camp Assistant User Guide on Apple’s website.
Method 2: VirtualBox
Advantages: You can use both OS installations at the same time.
Disadvantages: You will share your computer resources between both OS installations which can result in reduced performance.
- Browse to https://www.virtualbox.org/
- Select Download VirtualBox X.X.
- Select OS X hosts under VirtualBox X.X.X platform packages.
- Browse to the download location on your computer and launch the installer.
- Follow all on-screen directions to complete the installation.
Once VirtualBox is installed, you can follow the directions in section 1.7 of the Oracle VM VirtualBox User Manual to set up the VM.