Goal: Create an environment in which all students, staff, faculty and other stakeholders feel welcomed and respected.
Dashboard: See oversight, timelines, accountability and status of recommendations for creating an inclusive culture at LeBow
Led by: Jeffrey Levine, JD, PhD, assistant clinical professor of sport business
Ingrain diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) into LeBow’s DNA:
- Create a DEI mission statement to guide expectations for an inclusive culture.
- Create a DEI strategic plan to operationalize DEI efforts at LeBow.
- Integrate DEI into LeBow’s strategic plan.
- Appoint a DEI practitioner to lead, assess, support and guide DEI programming, practices, policies and procedures.
- Create a DEI Advisory Council with student, faculty, staff and alumni representation.
Incorporate DEI in programming:
- Ensure that events include representation from diverse populations.
- Offer ongoing programming that highlights DEI as a business and leadership competency and discusses current trends and issues in DEI.
- Create Inclusive Impact Day, an annual co-curricular event that includes business leaders, students, faculty, staff, alumni and business leaders.
Incorporate DEI in external partnerships:
- Corporate: Create metrics to assess potential partners to ensure that their organizations value DEI, including DEI practices, policy, procedures and leadership team and/or board of directors.
- Community: Develop civic engagement and/or partnerships with community groups that leverage faculty, staff, student and alumni thought leadership and mentorship to advance education in business and create a pipeline of applicants.
- Nonprofit: Utilize students, faculty, staff and alumni to provide support, expertise and/or pro-bono consulting services to local nonprofit organizations.
Develop DEI Marketing and Communications:
- Revamp the LeBow DEI website to share stories that represent and reflect the diversity of our stakeholders (prospective students and their families, current students, and external partners) and provide information about programs and initiatives.
- Create internal and external diversity marketing plans to extend the impact of DEI programming and resources at LeBow and raise awareness of the stories and successes of LeBow’s Black/African American and Hispanic/Latinx students.
- Tag LeBow DEI events and programs as “Diversity, Equity & Inclusion.”
Dashboard: Create an Inclusive Culture
|Dashboard Status Key|
|= Emerging||= Progressing||= Completed|
|Recommendation||Oversees Implementation||Timeline||Accountability Measure||Status|
|Create a shared DEI mission statement to guide expectations for an inclusive culture and to provide additional value to graduates, who through cultivating appreciation and awareness in a variety of curricular and co-curricular experiences will understand the critical value and impact of equity, inclusion, diversity in business.||DEI Action Group Core, Marketing & Comm, Dean||Fall 2021||Publish on LeBow DEI webpage and dashboard||Completed|
|Create DEI strategic plan to operationalize DEI at LeBow that creates a culture embracing DEI by aligning the college mission and LeBow’s identity through cultivating and maintaining a diverse LeBow community (students, faculty, staff, administrators, community partners); incorporate training and establish leading and lagging metrics to audit LeBow’s DEI progress.||DEI Action Group Core, Strategic Planning Committee, Dean||Winter 2021||Distribute new strategic plan with DEI goal included||Completed|
|Appoint a DEI practitioner to lead, assess, support and guide DEI programming, practices, policy and procedure, reporting to Dean charged with creating an environment (e.g. resources, scaffolding, learning systems, clear pathways, and processes) that acknowledges people view DEI through different frames, lens, and biases, changes the climate and pedagogy in departments to shape a culture that embraces DEI, welcomes ongoing difficult conversations, explores unintentional or unconscious biases, and provide access to educational opportunities for success for underrepresented groups and marginalized communities.||DEI Action Group Core, Dean||TBA||Practitioner Appointed||Progressing|
|Creation of DEI Advisory Council with faculty, staff, student and alumni representation.||DEI Action Group Core||Fall 2021||DEI Advisory Council Formed||Completed|
|LeBow to offer quarterly programming that highlights DEI from a business/leadership competency in which external stakeholders, alumni, and internal practitioners discuss current trends/issues.||DEI Action Group Core; Director, Office of Alumni Relations and Strategic Engagement||Winter 2021||Event Held||Completed|
|Inclusive Impact Day: An annual co-curricular event that includes business leaders, students, faculty, staff, and alumni, to address our collective responsibility to build on transparency, equity, diversity, and inclusivity and to provide opportunities to learn, grow, reflect, refuel, and gain the tools necessary to hold one another accountable as we commit to impacting systems which oppress our communities both personally and professionally.||DEI Action Group Core; Director, Office of Alumni Relations and Strategic Engagement||Spring 2022||Event Held||Progressing|
|Corporate: Creating metrics to assess organizations that LeBow partners with so to ensure that organizationally they value DEI-including but not limited to DEI practices, policy, procedures, and leadership team/board of directors.||DEI Action Group Core||Winter 2022||Metrics/Rubric Created||Progressing|
|Community: Civic engagement/partnership with community groups in which LeBow can leverage faculty, staff, student, and alumni thought leadership and mentorship to advance education in business, and in turn create a pipeline of applicants.||DEI Action Group Core||Spring 2022||Participation in Community||Progressing|
|Non-Profit: Leveraging students, faculty, staff and alumni to provide support and expertise to an organization to provide pro- bono consulting services to local non-profit organizations.||DEI Action Group Core||Spring 2022||Participation||Progressing|
|Revamping of LeBow DEI website page with the purpose of sharing not only programs and initiatives, but stories in which our stakeholders (prospective student and their families, current students, external partners-corporate and community) see themselves and see the value in partnering with LeBow. Web page should demonstrate that DEI is part of our DNA and not be performative.||DEI Action Group, Marketing & Comm, Dean||Fall 2021||Website Updated||Completed|
|Create internal and external diversity marketing plans to extend the impact of DEI programming and resources at LeBow and design campaigns to raise awareness of the stories and successes of our Black/African American and Hispanic/Latinx students.||Marketing & Comm||Winter 2022||Marketing Plan Launched||Progressing|
|Create a web tag called ‘Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion’ and tag LeBow DEI events/programs on website||DEI Action Group Core||Winter 2021||DEI Tag Created||Completed|