Learning and Professional Development
Goal: Provide faculty and staff with the knowledge, awareness and understanding of cultural competencies and humility to create a culture of belonging and create incentives and rewards to acknowledge individual participation in actively creating an inclusive environment.
Dashboard: View oversight, timelines, accountability and status of learning and professional development.
Led by: Brian Ellis, PhD, associate dean for academic programs administration at LeBow and executive director of the Goodwin College of Professional Studies.
Knowledge and Awareness:
- In collaboration with Drexel’s Learning & Development team, develop and facilitate a training series on awareness of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) for faculty and staff.
- Continue to facilitate open dialogue about DEI (e.g. Dialogue Boards, Brave Spaces and Courageous Conversations).
- Provide funds for faculty, PhD students and staff to attend conferences to learn about DEI (e.g. bringing it into the classroom, co-curricular activities, research, etc.). Share information about upcoming conferences and have attendees share best practices upon their return.
Incentives and Rewards:
- Create incentives for students to engage in DEI programming, such as creating a DEI scholarship award or funding for professional development or conference attendance for students who significantly contribute to LeBow DEI efforts (DEI Fund).
- Incentivize attendance or participation in DEI programing by offering DEI paid time off (similar to civic engagement time).
- Incentivize faculty or staff engagement in DEI programming by adding a DEI component to annual performance evaluation.
- Incentivize departments to attract and retain diverse talent through a diversity scoreboard.
- Provide awards to recognize making an impact in advancing DEI at LeBow.
Dashboard: DEI Learning and Professional Development
|Dashboard Status Key|
|= Emerging||= Progressing||= Completed|
|Recommendation||Oversees Implementation||Timeline||Accountability Measure||Status|
|In collaboration with Drexel’s Learning & Development team, develop and facilitate a training series around awareness of DEI to be offered to all faculty and staff.||DEI Action Group Core / University HR||Fall 2021||Faculty & Staff Certification||Progressing|
|Methods to facilitate dialogue that are more flexible and genuine. Celebrate one another’s contributions through Dialogue Boards/ Brave Spaces/Courageous Conversations||DEI Action Group Core / University HR||Fall/Winter 2021||Participation||Progressing|
|Make funds available to send faculty, PhD students, and staff to conferences to learn about DEI (e.g. bringing it into the classroom, co-curricular activities). Identify quality conferences.||Dean||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|Create incentives for students to engage in DEI programming such as creating a DEI scholarship award or funding towards professional development (conference) given to students who significantly contribute time and effort to LeBow community members towards advancing an inclusive climate-DEI FUND||Institutional Advancement, Dean, Marketing & Comm||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|Incentivize attendance/participation in DEI programing through offering of DEI PTO time (similar to earned civic engagement time).||Dean, University HR||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|Incentivize faculty/staff engagement in DEI programming by adding a DEI component to annual performance evaluation.||Dean, University HR||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|Incentivize departments through Diversity Scoreboard to attract and retain diverse talent; rewards that recognize impact to advance DEI/Inclusive Culture at LCOB.||Dean, Marketing & Comm||TBA||TBA||TBA|