Recruitment and Retention
Goal: Create recruitment and retention strategies to increase and maintain the diverse representation of students, faculty and staff, and continually assess climate and sense of belonging for all constituents.
Dashboard: View oversight, timelines, accountability and status for recruitment and retention.
Led by: Yasmeen Mayes, program manager for LeBow’s Office of Engagement
- Engage in dynamic and continuous outreach to local junior high and high schools, with an emphasis on Black/African American and Hispanic/Latinx prospective students in Philadelphia.
- Develop strategies to increase the enrollment of underrepresented undergraduate students, with the goals of admitting, matriculating and retaining the largest percentage of Black/African American and Hispanic/Latinx students among our peer institutions and doubling the current 6% Black/African American and 5% Hispanic/Latinx student populations by FY 2024.
- Partner with corporate partners and Institutional Advancement/Alumni Relations to provide scholarships and stipends for Black/African American high school students to attend Camp Business.
- Increase the diversity of the candidate pool by posting positions in publications and outlets that serve underrepresented populations, with the goal of having at least half of the candidates self-identify as BIPOC.
- Ensure diversity within selection committees and provide formal interview training to selection committees to increase cultural competencies and mitigate unconscious bias.
- Operationalize and scale the BRIDGE Program by providing funding and additional resources and staff.
- Continuously assess the underrepresented minority student experience with a special emphasis on the Black/African American and Hispanic/Latinx student experience.
- Create an onboarding program to formally welcome new employees to LeBow, which includes internal communication to create a sense of belonging; a buddy or mentor outside of their department who will provide resources (org chart, LCOB mission/vision, ERG, programming), and a 30-60-90 day meeting with direct supervisor (30), skip level (60) and dean (90).
- Regularly survey staff and faculty to identify gaps in DEI resources and determine the unmet needs of the community.
Dashboard: Increase Recruitment & Retention of Underrepresented Students, Staff, and Faculty
|Dashboard Status Key|
|= Emerging||= Progressing||= Completed|
|Recommendation||Oversees Implementation||Timeline||Accountability Measure||Status|
|Engage in dynamic and continuous outreach to local junior high and high schools with an emphasis on intensifying outreach to Black/African American and Hispanic/Latinx prospective students in Philadelphia.||Associate Dean for Academic Programs Admin, UG Recruitment Team||Summer 2022||Increase in Applications from these Populations||Progressing|
|Focus on admitting, matriculating, and retaining the largest percentage of Black/African American and Hispanic/Latinx students among our peer institutions – with the goal of doubling the current 6% Black/African American and 5% Hispanic/Latinx student populations by FY 2024; identify top talent through lens of DEI acumen/allyship.||Office of Enrollment Management and Student Success||Winter/Spring 2025||Increase in Incoming Student Population||Progressing|
|Partner with corporate partners and institutional advancement/alumni to provide scholarship and stipend for Black/African American high school students to attend Camp Business.||Institutional Advancement, Dean||Summer 2021||DEI Fund Established||Completed|
|Increase diversity representation in faculty and staff positions by increasing diverse candidate pool-posting positions to underrepresented serving publications/outlets with the intent at least half of the candidates considered (self) identify as BIPOC||Dean, Faculty Department Heads||Fall 2021||Positions posted in diverse outlets||Progressing|
|Ensure diversity within selection committees and provide formal interview training to all staff and faculty who serve on selection committees to increase culture competencies and mitigate unconscious bias.||Dean, University HR||Fall 2021||Document from Hiring Committee with Candidate Info. for Interviews, Completion of Training Mandated for all Hiring Committee Members||Progressing|
|Operationalize and scale BRIDGE Program; identify and enroll at-risk students; provide funding and additional resources/staff.||Associate Dean for Academic Programs Administration, BRIDGE Team||Spring 2022||BRIDGE Enrollment Growth||Progressing|
|Continuously assess and evaluate underrepresented minority student experience with a special emphasis on the Black/African American and Hispanic/Latinx student experience.||DEI Action Group Core||Spring 2022||Survey Completed||Progressing|
|Create an onboarding program in which all new employees are formally welcomed to LeBow through an internal communication to create a sense of belonging; assigned a buddy/mentor outside of their department who will meet with them to provide resources (org chart, LeBow mission/vision, ERG, programming); 30-60-90 day meeting with direct supervisor (30), skip level (60), and dean (90).||Dean, University HR||Spring 2022||Pilot Program Created||Progressing|
|Continuously survey staff and faculty to understand gaps in DEI resources and determine unmet needs of community and prioritize DEI engagement in all facets of leadership, professional development, and hiring/retention.||DEI Action Group Core, Dean, Marketing & Comm||Spring 2022||Survey Completed||Progressing|