Commuter Learning Community
While many first-year students live on campus, others commute to campus for classes from throughout the Delaware Valley. The Commuter Learning Community (CLC) provides an opportunity for first-year commuters to feel at home in LeBow, despite having to travel home at the end of the day.
CLC students gain a sense of belonging and develop and maintain relationships with peers throughout their college experience, even beyond freshmen year. Many students in the community continue to stay involved as upperclassmen and alumni. The community built within this group of commuters allows for an easy transition to university life. Their overall student experience is enhanced as they learn to accomplish their educational goals, all the while developing time management skills to prioritize their daily responsibilities and have time to build lifelong friendships.
Balance is key for LeBow commuter students. Thus, this community is focused on quality engagement opportunities that fit into the commuters’ schedule. Time-sensitive events are planned to create meaningful learning opportunities and many positive memories for years to come.
Areas of Engagement
The Commuter Learning Community has four focused areas of engagement:
- Social Opportunities - On and off campus outings are planned for members to interact with other commuter students and explore the city of Philadelphia
- Academic Support - Students are enrolled in the one-credit Drexel Experience course (UNIV B101) together to aid in their transition to managing college-level coursework
- Career Development - Students have the opportunity to develop leadership skills, thus enhancing their resume as they move toward their career
- Civic Engagement - Members get actively involved in the Drexel and Philadelphia communities through opportunities like the annual Diabetes Walk, veteran community service and enrolling in CIVC 101 together
Advantages of CLC Membership
- Dedicated professional staff and faculty
- Social activities and outings
- Community service and volunteer opportunities
- Annual trip to New York City
- Corporate site visits
- Leadership and mentoring opportunities