Step 1: Download grades from the Blackboard Grade Center
This step will ensure that your grade columns will remain consistent across multiple uploads.
- From your course’s left-hand navigation bar, select Grade Center > Full Grade Center
- Open the Work Offline menu in the far-right corner of the page, then select Download
- To download a copy of your course’s Full Grade Center as a CSV file, locate the “Delimiter Type” field, then select the Comma radio button. Leave all other default settings as-is.
- If you would like to download a specific grade column, rather than the Full Grade Center, use the "Selected Column" field to choose from a list of available columns
Step 2: Enter or modify grades using Excel
- To add or modify a score using Excel, locate the appropriate cell from your spreadsheet, then enter a new number based on the score a student earned
- If you included Blackboard columns in your grade center download, leave all column headers as-is. Preserving the original headers will reduce technical issues during upload.
- You may receive a prompt from Excel to confirm the CSV format. Click Yes to proceed.
- If you choose to save the working copy of your gradebook as an Excel spreadsheet (i.e. XLSX file), save an additional copy as a CSV file before you proceed to the upload steps below. Native Excel files cannot be uploaded to Blackboard.
Step 3: Upload modified grades to the Blackboard Grade Center
- Navigate to your course’s Full Grade Center
- Select Work Offline, then click Upload
- Click Browse Local Files to locate your CSV file, then click Open to confirm.
- Leave the “Delimiter Type” option set to Auto
- Click Submit
- Blackboard will prompt you to review the grades that you are uploading. Select the checkbox for each column you would like to update, then click Submit
- Your updated grades will appear in your course’s Full Grade Center