Accomplished Managed Care executive with over 30 years in industry, led CVS Aetna’s national Medicare business to #4 nationally, and #2 in growth, during tenure. Built Coventry Health Care’s Medicare business from the ground up. The Medicare retail business became the principal driver in the Aetna acquisition of Coventry in 2013. Prior roles included financial operations, leadership of commercial self-funded middle market business and strategic priorities like e-Health. Now serving on the Board of a Silicon Valley start-up in the social determinants of health space, as well as participating as an investor/advisor for numerous health care related start-ups. Extensive payor background including product strategy, value-based payment arrangements, regulatory & compliance proficiency, operations & consumer experience, risk and financial management.
2009-2018 ( CVS Aetna & formerly Coventry Health Care)
- P&L leader of the $20B+ Medicare business, including turnarounds of the Medicare operations and profitability upon return to Coventry in 2009, and upon assuming leadership of the Aetna block in 2013. Built both businesses into top performing businesses from a growth, profitability and stars perspective.
2007-2008 (Health Markets, Inc)
Executive Vice President Medicare
- Started a PFFS Medicare business for this private-equity owned commercial mini-med insurer. Later as the regulatory environment shifted negatively and risk increased, worked with the Board to exit, ensuring full compliance with CMS requirements
2001-2006 (Coventry Health Care, Inc)
Senior Vice President Medicare
- Was the first Head of Medicare for this organization, which found itself with small Medicare Advantage membership post acquisition of certain commercial plans, but lacked the executive focus to build and operate the business successfully. Built the Medicare infrastructure and launched a national Part D business.
1984-2001 (CVS Aetna, formerly U.S. HealthCare & Aetna)
- Various roles from Ass’t Treasurer, to VP Financial Planning, Vice President of Operations. Responsible for business planning, led start up efforts for new markets, managed budget process for the company, led operations centers, and did project mgt office roles.
- Certified Public Accountant (currently inactive); Member NACD National Association of Corporate Directors, Advisor for Ready Care Connect Inc, and Newtopia, Inc; private investor/advisor in a number of other health ventures.
- Member of the Union League of Philadelphia
- Served on the Audit Committee, Compensation Committee and Chaired the Nominating and Governance Committee for Aspira Women’s Health Inc (a NASDAQ life sciences company) 2018-2021
- Currently serve on the Board of Wider Circle, Inc, P/E financed, since 2019.
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting; Jefferson Philadelphia University- 1981