Change Leadership and Strategy Certificate
Learn how to create, implement and execute successful and meaningful change in your organization through Drexel LeBow’s new Change Leadership and Strategy Certificate. The innovative, part-time certificate enables students to develop the knowledge and skills to drive change in a variety of organizational and team-based settings. Incorporating a broad-based perspective that spans from the individual level to the organizational and industry levels, the certificate facilitates an understanding of both change generation as well as change execution. Participants will gain a variety of skills that are central to leading change in organizations, including individual change management, communication, influence, strategic decision-making, industry analysis and more.
Available in an in-person format on Drexel’s Philadelphia campus, the certificate consists of four courses, utilizing an experiential approach in which students put theory into practice through simulations, cases and personal application. The learnings from each course will engender a breadth and depth of practical skills that are directly relevant for leading change in all kinds of organizations.
Why Study Change Leadership and Strategy?
The Change Leadership and Strategy Certificate will help you develop skills in strategic thinking and organizational management that are critical to creating change in organizations. Examples of course topics include:
- Managing alignment between goals and processes
- Strengthening climate and culture
- Analyzing and forecasting the technology landscape
- Carrying out a vision and a mission
- Creating frameworks of change
- Understanding opportunities and challenges in managing innovation
- Using system thinking
- Communicating effectively
- Boosting motivation
- Handling resistance
“I’m really happy I took [the Change Management Capstone], as it gave me several viable strategies and activities to take back to my workplace and incorporate into my team’s ongoing change management efforts.”
- Student feedback on course evaluation
Who Should Attend the Change Leadership and Strategy Certificate?
Management-level professionals who are:
- Leading and managing change among people, projects or operations
- Planning to lead change initiatives
Suitable for all industries, especially those in highly dynamic areas that experience rapid change
Features of the Change Leadership and Strategy Certificate
- 4 courses (12-credits)
- Part-time, delivered face-to-face on the Philadelphia campus
- Coursework includes both macro and micro approaches to change management as well as individual and industry-level considerations for leading organizational change
- Experiential approach that draws on cases and simulations
- Taught by Drexel LeBow faculty experts in leadership and teams as well as technology and innovation management
- Provides immediately applicable skills and approaches in addition to broader, long-term environmental changes and industry trends
What Makes Drexel LeBow’s Change Leadership and Strategy Certificate Unique?
- Provides a dual focus in change management in both organizational behavior and strategy
- Uses a holistic approach to enable students to understand linkages among elements throughout an organization — from individual to industry perspectives
- Builds students’ skills in leadership, influence, communication, strategic thinking, problem solving and industry analysis to enact change at all levels of an organization and beyond
“Value-added class and discussions. Engaging deliverables and value-added guest speakers. Professor spoke to expertise and drove engaging conversations while asking challenging questions. Overall effective class and material.”
- Student feedback on Leading and Executing Change course evaluation
Course Requirements and Descriptions for the Change Leadership and Strategy Certificate
Four courses (12 credits) total. Required courses include:
- Description: This course — comprised of two modules — provides an overview of organizational change by focusing on external and internal dynamics, in which firms craft their strategic actions and organizational implementations. The first module takes a strategic perspective to analyze the external dynamics of large-scale organizational change, and the second focuses on the internal dynamics of organizational change. The course introduces analytical tools for students to understand the complexity of organizational change, build a mindset of organizational change and obtain a skillset for executing organizational change agendas.
- Instructor: Cuneyt Gozu, PhD, an associate clinical professor in Drexel LeBow’s Department of Management
- Description: Developing a winning organizational strategy that unlocks growth is essential for business survival. Developing a strategy, however, is only one part of the equation, as some studies show that as much as 70 percent of strategy and change initiatives fail in execution. What explains the change leadership shortfall in most organizations? This course explores why change efforts fail and how to proactively overcome common change leadership challenges. It will introduce effective change leadership approaches and develop specific skills, such as planning, communication, change management and performance measurement.
- Instructor: David Kurz, EdD, an associate clinical professor in Drexel LeBow’s Department of Management
MGMT 604 Strategic Change Management — New for spring 2022
- Description: Corporations are continuously adapting to changes and new opportunities in their environments to maintain a competitive advantage. However, if not planned and implemented properly, change not only runs the risk of undermining a firm’s value proposition and customer base but might be difficult to manage. This course approaches the management of change from a strategic perspective. As such, the class will consider how internal structures and external factors jointly facilitate (or hinder) change and innovation, covering topics such as organizational resistance to change, agility, strategic repositioning and various sources of change.
- Instructor: Dali Ma, PhD, an associate professor in Drexel LeBow’s Department of Management
- Description: This change management capstone course is designed to provide actionable know-how and skills for leading and managing change management initiatives successfully. Using live change consulting projects, a simulation and interactions with change practitioners, the course is designed to provide students with a real-world experience in the art and science of change management.
- Instructor: Rajiv Nag, PhD, a clinical professor in Drexel LeBow’s Department of Management
Admissions Requirements for the Change Leadership and Strategy Certificate
- A completed application
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited university/college
- Unofficial transcript(s) from all universities/colleges attended (once accepted to LeBow, students must submit official transcripts prior to the start of term)
- Professional résumé
Cost of a Change Leadership and Strategy Certificate
Cost per Credit Hour: $1,151
Total Cost: $13,812
All 12 credits from the Change Leadership and Strategy Certificate can transfer to a LeBow MBA or MS program if completed with grades of B or above, and if all other admissions criteria for those degree programs are met.
Application will open soon.