Accounting Degree Salary & Career Opportunities
Career opportunities for undergraduate accounting majors are found in public accounting, private industry, government and nonprofit organizations. Check out this AICPA resource you can use to find more accounting degree salaries and career opportunities.
An undergraduate degree in accounting can prepare you for a opportunities in a variety of industries. Accounting is fundamental for success in a wide range of business types and is integrated into all forms of career types. Accounting job opportunities come in a variety of forms and the skills you gain as an accounting student can take you in a number of directions.
A few of the skills the accounting degree provide:
- Applied and social sciences
- Marketing and business communication
- Tax law
Career Growth Outlook Opportunities for Accounting Majors
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment opportunities for accountants and auditors is projected to grow 11 percent from 2014 to 2024, which represents a larger growth than the average for all occupations.
Find out more about the outlook for related fields such as budget analysts, financial managers, tax examiners and personal financial advisors from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
What is the Average Salary for an Accounting Major?
The average salary of accounting graduates in 2017-2018 was $57,250. Salary outlook can vary greatly depending on the local job market, skill level and work experience.
What Type of Job Skills Will You Gain From an Accounting Degree?
The accounting degree can provide you with a number of knowledge and skills including:
- Managerial accounting
- Cost accounting
- Financial accounting
- Navigating accounting information systems
What Can You Do with a Degree in Accounting?
An accounting degree can prepare you to be a leader in a variety of fields. The unique skills an accounting degree provides you with the versatility to enter into the industry of your choice prepared to make an impact.
Common Titles for Undergraduate Accounting Graduates
- Budget Analyst
- Buyer / Purchasing Agent
- Cost Estimator
- Credit Analyst
- Financial Analyst / Manager
- Forensic Accountant
- Insurance Underwriter
- Public Accountant
- Tax Examiner
- Tax Collector / Revenue Agent
- Public Accounting Firms
- Government Agencies
- Insurance Companies
- Educational Institutions
- Non-profit Organizations
Recent Drexel accounting graduates have landed jobs at the following companies:
- Ametek, Inc.
- CHUBB (formerly ACE USA)
- Comcast Corporation
- EY (Formerly Ernst & Young)
- Grant Thornton LLP
- Independence Blue Cross
- JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- Lockheed Martin
- PwC (PricewaterhouseCoopers)
- Accounting and Financial Women’s Alliance (Philadelphia Chapter)
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (Philadelphia Chapter)
- American Institute of CPAs
- Institute of Internal Auditors (Philadelphia Chapter)
- Institute of Management Accountants (Philadelphia Chapter)
- National Association of Black Accountants
- National Association of State Boards of Accountancy
- Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Continuing Education Opportunities
Many students also choose to continue their studies in graduate schools, pursuing such degrees as:
Recent Drexel LeBow accounting alumni have gone on to pursue advanced degrees in the following programs:
- Harvard University School of Law