- How much is the application fee?
We do not charge an application fee as we understand this may be a barrier for applicants.
- When is the deadline to submit the application?
Our deadline for Fall 2024 admission is January 7, 2024.
- Is there funding associated with the program?
Yes! All admitted applicants are offered a five-year teaching and research assistantship (TA/RA) position which provides a funding package for five years contingent on satisfactory progress in the program. This funding includes an annual stipend, full tuition costs, and annual healthcare coverage.
- How many letters of recommendation do I need, and by whom should they be written?
Two (2). We suggest that letters be written by academics or individuals who are in a position to assess your likelihood of success in a research-oriented program.
- Do I need to send official transcripts to the admissions office?
No, we do not require official transcripts during the application process. Please upload all transcripts and degree certificates to the online application.
- Is there a word limit to the Personal Statement/Essay?
We prefer that applicants keep their statements to a maximum of 1500 words. Faculty appreciate applicants who can concisely describe their fitness for our PhD program.
- Can the GMAT or GRE requirement be waived?
GMAT or GRE scores are required for the application and cannot be waived.
- Do you offer financial support for applicants to take the GMAT?
Yes, LeBow College of Business participates in the Graduate Management Admission Council’s GMAT Fee Waiver Program. During each admissions cycle, there are a very limited number of waivers awarded on a first-come, first-served basis to applicants who demonstrate financial need.
Students must have started their application for admission to a LeBow College of Business PhD Program and have unofficial transcripts on file in the Discover Drexel portal system to be considered for a GMAT fee waiver award.
If interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What is the average GMAT or GRE score for admitted applicants?
- Average GRE Quantitative: 161
- Average GRE Verbal: 155
- Average GRE Writing: 3.25
- Average GMAT total: 688
- What are the institution codes for the GMAT, GRE, and TOEFL exams?
- The GMAC code for the PhD program is: 6GJ-QT-99
- The ETS code (GRE) for the PhD program is: 2194
- When do GRE/GMAT results expire?
The exam must have been taken within five (5) years of the submission date of the Drexel online application. For example, if you took the exam on December 1, 2017, you would need to complete the Drexel application no later than December 1, 2022.
- If I am not from the United States or another English-speaking country, do I need to take an English proficiency exam?
International applicants who hold a bachelor’s degree or higher from a university in which English is the medium of instruction can be exempt from this requirement. Otherwise, we accept TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo exams to meet this requirement.
- What is the minimum TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo score required?
The minimum TOEFL score is 90 or higher, with 22 or better in Speaking and Listening. For the IELTS, the score should be a 6.5 overall minimum with 6.5 or higher in Speaking and Listening. The Duolingo English Test will be accepted with a recommended minimum of 115.
- What is the average GPA for admitted applicants?
- Average undergraduate: 3.58
- Average graduate: 3.77
- I’m having difficulty finding the PhD Business application with the different specialization options. Where can I find it?
Once you have logged into Drexel’s application portal, choose “Start New Application”. Pop-up windows will populate and you’ll navigate through “Fall 2024”, then select “2024-2025 Graduate” and “Create Application”. At the ‘Academic Area of Interest’ section, select ‘Business’. Under ‘Program,’ select “Business Administration, PhD” then select the appropriate ‘Concentration/Program Track’.
- How many people are usually admitted to the program each year?
The program is highly competitive. We receive upwards of 300 applications each year and the total intake can range from 12-16 students.
- Do I need a master’s degree to apply for the PhD program?
A master’s degree is not a requirement to apply for the PhD Program. The LeBow College of Business seeks applicants with exceptional ability and motivation who can succeed in a research-oriented program.
- Should I submit research papers or writing samples?
A writing sample is not required. However, papers that you have written or that have been published are welcomed to support your application.
- Can I work while I am in the program?
The Drexel LeBow PhD program is a full-time program and is not geared toward working professionals. We do not have a part-time program option. However, Drexel LeBow does have the Executive Doctorate in Business Administration (DBA) degree program which is a part-time executive doctoral program that is geared toward industry professionals.
- When will I find out whether I am accepted or denied admission?
You will be informed of a decision via email on or before April 15. Once you have been notified that a decision has been made, you will be advised to access your decision letter via the application portal.